Wow... what a great evening! Rob and Michelle (and baby Rowan and entourage I suspect!) from Verge Permaculture in Calgary, put on a great talk tonight at the U of A and I just wanted to write a few things before they left my too full brain!
1. "Work is a failure in design." So, weeding is a failure in design.... gotta think about this one! (which leads to:
2. "100 hours of thinking for every hour of doing". So, no wonder my corrals are like Aegeus (?) stables in the spring when the snow melts; we didn't think hard enough about where the water will go....and I become Hercules with out even lifting a finger...(hmmm does that count as not working though???) Cows and fish (an organization that does think of this will be contacted this spring!)
3. "Ecological systems are not economical... the fungus under the leaves in the forest doesn't need to get $20/hour and so it continues its beneficial work"
4. "Sustainability maintains the status quo... what the earth needs now is regeneration."
5."Store water at the highest point - Sacrifice no head!"
6."Plant the water before you plant the landscape"
7. "Bring feedback into your system"
Thank you Rob and Michelle and all who came out to learna nd practice these