I have a new favourite book: its called Wild Fermentation. So far I have made Blueberry T'ej and tomorrow I will make sauerkraut and of course I have the ever present, kefir, sourdough, kombucha and Piima cream cultures all going on various horizontal surfaces in the kitchen. I am hoping somewhere within it will describe how one can have all these wild yeast catching substrates going in the kitchen and still be able to make a decent cheese that doesn't get invaded by yeast when all you want is the lactobaccilli (spelling??) to make a nicely, tasty cheese...
In his book Sandor Katz gives a great account of the Do-it-yourself mentality that I would love to encourage in the farmers that come out here. I have recently decided (discovered?) that I don't want to be one of the 2% that feeds the other 98%. (at least not now while I want to read to Rigel and watch him play/learn). I want to facilitate anyone with a do-it-yourself willingness to come out here, use our land, call it your own and make it grow something. It is so important that the knowledge of food rearing, storage and cooking be maintained in our culture. So, I guess I'm "culture"ing knowledge as well as yeast and bacteria!
They just keep on giving!
Now Emily and Braden have added a posting to the wwoof Canada Site:
The Good Note Experience:
Let's see...what would a browsing wwoofer like myself want to know about this farm?
As prospective sustenance farmers, the experience was enlightening. Maryann is a fountain of knowledge when it comes to animal and human biology, nutrition, livestock, horticulture, and so much more (I strongly suspect!) Their organic farming is supremely informed. Their methods are innovative, responsible, earthwise. I was so impressed by what a diligent and wholehearted effort this family is putting into "green living" (as it is called nowadays).
I recommend this wwoof experience to someone who is interested in such things. Learn the practical way. Witness the gradual realization of a truly organic project. Be of real use as you help knock items off a most visionary to-do list. For someone who didn't have much previous experience, I was given remarkable free range. I was shown trust and confidence that gave me the opportunity to let my own ambitions carry me forward through my work.
I visited the Borch family in late August, and these are the tasks I was involved in:
-gardening and horticulture (mulching, weeding, building lattices, bagging manure)
-daily tending to the goats and chickens
-shelving and organizing a garden shed
Maryann, Kevin and the boys were welcoming and accomodating: I had a very comfortable stay, both physically and socially. I stayed in their camper/trailer (though they invited us to stay in the house), I ate healthy and delicious meals homecooked by Maryann, and was warmly involved in the family's daily activities.
A sincere group of people. (and you can jam with them too!)
Thank you for sharing with me, Borches! May you flourish!